Northern Illinois DUI Defense Attorneys
If you have been charged with driving under the influence (DUI) of alcohol or drugs in Illinois, just sorting out the penalties you may be facing for conviction can be a daunting experience. DUI laws have been evolving for years, and nearly every change has strengthened penalties or introduced new factors to aid in prosecution.
One thing is certain: The risk of facing a DUI charge — even a first offense with no aggravating factors — without an experienced defense lawyer is a major risk today. Our law firm, led in this area by aggressive negotiator and proven trial attorney Joseph C. Ponitz, offers a free consultation to help you make sound decisions about your DUI or traffic violations defense. Our lead attorney in this area, Joseph C. Ponitz, as well as Peggy D. Gerkin, are former States Attorney Assistants and have vast experience in this field.
When you retain an attorney at Franks, Gerkin & McKenna, P.C., for your drunk driving defense, you leverage extensive knowledge of the laws and factors that may enable us to win acquittal or, in some cases, negotiate minimized consequences. We will:
- Interpret your citation and all police documentation to give you a clear picture of potential consequences — including whether you face possible jail time and the statutory impact on your driving privilege
- Examine all potential legal angles for defending your case, such as whether there was adequate cause for a traffic stop, whether your rights were violated during your arrest and detention, or if other evidence can be questioned
- Work closely with you to determine the approach that is right for you, given your top priorities, work obligations, financial situation and other factors
Determined, Capable Traffic Violations Defense
Many clients in the Marengo, Illinois, area — including communities such as Crystal Lake, Woodstock, Wonder Lake and Belvidere — also find it in their best interest to seek our attorneys' help in dealing with traffic violations, ranging from speeding tickets to moving violations like:
- Reckless driving
- Driving under suspension or revocation
- Traffic violations by juveniles
We know the penalties and are familiar with area courts and officials. When you consult with us, we will provide an honest assessment of what we may be able to accomplish, in terms of avoiding conviction, protecting your driving record, or saving you the time and expense of a court appearance.
If you communicate best in Spanish, we are well equipped to explain your rights and determine the representation you need in a DUI case or traffic matter.